Houston FELA Attorney
The Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA) may not be as well-known as traditional workers’ compensation, but this is a critically important law. FELA has been around since the early 1900s and is designed to protect and compensate railroad workers who sustain on the job injuries. If you or a loved one have been injured while working in the railroad industry, contact Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP for help today. Our Houston FELA attorneys will investigate your case and work to secure the compensation you need.
Why Choose Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP For This?
After sustaining an injury while working in the railroad industry, you need an attorney with specific experience with these cases. Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP is ready to help.
- Our attorneys have more than 70 years of combined legal experience and understand specific laws related to railroad worker injuries.
- We purposely limit the number of cases that our attorneys take so that we can devote the time and resources to each client necessary to win their case.
- We take Houston FELA cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that clients will not pay any legal fees until after we secure the compensation they deserve.
What Will An Attorney Do For This Case?
Because railroad workers are required to show negligence on the part of someone else in order to recover compensation, these cases are going to require extensive investigation. A Houston FELA lawyer will have the resources necessary to:
- Obtain all evidence necessary to prove liability, including any statements from eyewitnesses, available video or photo surveillance, railroad agency records, and more.
- Work with trusted medical professionals to fully assess a client’s injuries and properly calculate their total losses.
- Negotiate with all parties involved in order to secure the compensation the client needs.
How Does FELA Work For Injured Employees?
Thousands of railroad workers are injured each year on the job in the United States, according to the National Safety Council. In these cases, workers will turn to the Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA) to obtain compensation for their injuries as opposed to the traditional Texas workers’ compensation system. While the benefits that a worker receives will be similar, FELA is a fault-based compensation system. This means that injured workers need to prove that their injury was caused by the negligence of somebody else (another worker, the employer, a contractor, an agent of the railroad, faulty equipment, etc.).
Under the FELA, a railroad worker has the right to sue for damages in federal or state court if they are found not to be 100% at fault for their injuries.
What Kind Of Compensation Is Available Through FELA?
The compensation available through the Federal Employers Liability Act is going to differ slightly from the compensation that is typically available through the traditional workers’ comp system. At Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP, our qualified and experienced team regularly helps victims obtain the following:
- Coverage of all of their medical bills related to the injuries
- Any lost wages if a victim is unable to work
- Temporary or permanent disability benefits
- Emotional distress damages
Speak With An Experienced FELA Lawyer
In these cases, the total amount of compensation an injured railroad worker receives will depend on the various circumstances surrounding their case. When you need a Houston FELA attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling (713) 574-4600.