Houston Car Accident Lawyer
The last thing that anybody wants to worry about when they get behind the wheel of their vehicle is that they may need a Houston car accident attorney. However, car accidents in and around this area are not uncommon, and you need to know where to turn if another driver’s negligence causes you or a loved one harm. At Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP, our Houston car accident attorneys have the resources and experience you need to secure full compensation for your case.
Why Choose Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP For This Case?
If you have sustained a severe injury in a car accident that was caused by another person, you need an attorney by your side with vast experience handling these cases. Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP is here to help you get through this.
- We have more than 70 years of combined legal experience representing those who have sustained serious injuries in car accidents.
- We believe in providing personalized attention to every case. We take the time to get to know you and your particular situation so we can formulate the best strategy to secure maximum compensation for your claim.
- Every client has direct access to their attorney. We will never put you off onto a paralegal or junior assistant.
- We take our Houston car accident cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that our clients pay no upfront or out-of-pocket costs related to their case. We only collect legal fees after we secure the compensation our clients are entitled to.
Do You Need An Attorney To Help With A Car Accident Case?
Car accident cases In Houston can become incredibly complex, particularly when you have to deal with aggressive insurance carriers. Car accident victims often do not have the resources necessary to conduct a full investigation into their case to secure maximum compensation. However, a skilled Houston car accident lawyer will be able to:
- Obtain all evidence in the case that can help prove liability. This includes any video or photographic evidence from the scene of the crash, statements from eyewitnesses, accident reports, and more. Evidence preservation is also an important issue in car wrecks. Many newer vehicles have “black boxes,” known as data recorders, that can reveal important information such as pre-impact speed, and brake application.
- Work with trusted medical professionals who can fully assess the client and help properly evaluate the total expected medical costs.
- Secure assistance from economic and financial experts to calculate a client’s total expected losses.
- Negotiate with all parties involved to reach a fair settlement or prepare the case for trial to secure maximum compensation.
What Are The Common Causes Of Houston Car Accidents?
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, there were 3,639 total traffic crash fatalities and more than 249,000 traffic crash injuries during the latest reporting year across the state. When we look at Texas DOT data and focus specifically on Houston for that same reporting year, we can see that there was a total of 64,126 total traffic crashes. Out of those incidents, there were:
- 197 fatalities
- 1,175 suspected serious injuries
- 6,703 non-incapacitating injuries
- 21,878 possible injuries
Houston is a bustling metropolitan area, and we have plenty of traffic coming in and out of the city. Between residents, commuting workers, and visitors, traffic crashes are going to occur. Unfortunately, most traffic crashes happen due to the negligence of a driver.
There are many causes of traffic crashes in Houston. Most commonly, these incidents occur due to the failure of a driver to follow traffic laws. This can include:
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Failing to follow traffic signs or traffic signals
- Driving at a high rate of speed
Of particular concern in this area are incidents involving drunk drivers. According to the Texas DOT, 26% of all traffic fatalities during the latest reporting year involved a driver who was intoxicated by alcohol. Despite years of public safety announcements and DUI enforcement, drunk driving remains a leading cause of traffic crash injuries and fatalities in and around the Houston area.
Distracted driving remains a major concern. As technology becomes more and more integrated into our lives and our vehicles, distracted driving crashes have increased. The latest reporting year of data shows us that nearly 400 people were killed due to distracted driving across the state of Texas. This type of behavior often includes talking on phones, texting while driving, reading emails, checking social media, eating while driving, talking to others in the vehicle, and more.
How Much Compensation Can You Receive For A Car Accident Case?
The total amount of compensation available to victims of a Houston car accident will vary depending on the specific factors of each particular case. At Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP, our Houston car accident lawyers regularly help clients recover both economic and non-economic damages, including the following:
- Coverage of all crash-related medical expenses
- Lost income if the victim is unable to work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages in cases of gross negligence or intentional actions
Properly calculating the total amount of damage a victim sustains will require assistance from medical, economic, and financial experts.
Car Accident Injuries Can Be Devastating For Victims
Car accident injuries range from minor to severe. However, it is important to point out that even seemingly minor car accident injuries may actually be much more severe than a victim realizes. Many car accident victims experience delayed injuries that they are not aware of in the immediate aftermath of a crash.
The Houston car accident attorneys at Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP regularly help clients have sustained the following injuries:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Open head wounds
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
Motor vehicle collisions, whether high speed or low impact, can result in serious injuries. Often victims rush to settle with the other driver’s insurance company before they know the full extent of their injury. What, at first, may seem like a back strain may really be a herniated disc or an annular tear and may require surgery.
It is important to recognize that each of these injuries can lead to tremendous medical expenses. However, we also want to highlight that car accident injury victims can also sustain severe emotional and psychological damage as a result of their injuries and the incident itself. This can include long-lasting feelings of anxiety, fear, anger, and depression. It is not uncommon for Houston car accident victims to experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as a result of what happened.
What Is The Statute Of Limitations For A Car Accident Case?
Each state is responsible for setting a time limit on how long victims of car accidents have to file civil lawsuits against alleged negligent parties. These time limits are called statutes of limitation. Under Texas law (Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code section 16.003), car accident victims have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the negligent party. Failure to file a claim within this two-year time limit will likely result in the victim being unable to recover any compensation for their losses.
For claims against a government employee or government entity, victims will need to file a notice of their claim within six months of the incident occurring and give time for the state, county, or local government entity to respond to the allegations.
Will A Case Settle Or Go To Trial?
The vast majority of car accident cases are settled out of court between victims and insurance carriers. However, please understand that insurance adjusters are trained negotiators who will do what they can to limit the amount of money the insurance carrier pays in any settlement. Even if your case does not result in a lawsuit, an attorney can still help maximize the amount of compensation you receive by handling negotiations with aggressive insurance claims adjusters.
If the insurance carrier or at-fault party refuses to offer a fair settlement, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit and take a case all the way to trial. While this may result in a longer period between the incident occurring and receiving compensation, this could be a way to ensure that you receive coverage for all of your expenses.
Contact A Houston Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you or somebody you love has been injured in a car accident due to the negligent actions of another driver, you should seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP, our qualified and experienced team has the resources to fully investigate your case and secure the compensation you are entitled to. We know how to handle aggressive insurance carriers, and we will not back down until you receive the coverage you deserve. When you need a Houston car accident attorney by your side, you can contact us online for a free consultation or by calling (713) 574-4600.