Houston Personal Injury Attorney
If you or somebody you love has been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of another person, then you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Serious injuries can affect every aspect of a person’s life. This includes their ability to work and enjoy daily life activities. At Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP, our dedicated and experienced team is ready to investigate every aspect of your case in order to secure the compensation you are entitled to. Contact our Houston personal injury attorneys for help with your case today.
Why Choose Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP For Your Case?
After sustaining a serious injury caused by another party, you need a team with vast experience handling these cases by your side. Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP is ready to get to work on your behalf.
- Our attorneys have over 70 years of combined experience representing individuals who have been seriously injured and families of individuals who have been killed because of someone else’s negligence.
- We purposely limit the number of cases that our attorneys take. This ensures that we have the time and resources to devote to each individual client.
- We have a reputation for success and have collected millions in compensation for our clients through favorable settlements and verdicts.
- We take Houston personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means our clients will not pay any legal fees until we successfully secure the compensation they deserve.
How Will An Attorney Help A Personal Injury Case?
Personal injury cases In Houston, Texas, can become incredibly complex. This is especially true when dealing with aggressive insurance carriers or negligent parties that have deep pockets and can afford legal teams to fight their case. Unfortunately, most injury victims do not have the resources or legal experience to properly pursue maximum compensation for their claim. That is why you need a Houston personal injury lawyer by your side.
By securing an attorney, you are leveling the playing field against the person who caused you harm. A personal injury attorney in Houston will have the resources to:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into your case and obtain all evidence necessary, including available video surveillance, photographic evidence, eyewitness statements, police reports, company memos and safety records, and more.
- Ensure that their client is treated and evaluated by trusted medical professionals who can fully assess the full extent of the injuries.
- Work with expert economic and financial specialists who can help calculate a client’s total losses.
- Negotiate with every party involved throughout the entire personal injury process to secure maximum compensation for their client.
How Do Personal Injury Cases Arise In Houston?
There are many ways that personal injury cases arise in this area. At Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP, we have experience handling injuries that arise in various ways, including the following:
- Car accidents. Vehicle accidents are common in and around the Houston area, and they are often caused by the negligence of other drivers. This can include a failure to obey traffic laws, distracted driving behavior, alcohol-impaired driving, and more.
- Motorcycle accidents. Motorcyclists face more risks on the roadway than those inside traditional passenger vehicles. Unfortunately, passenger vehicle drivers often fail to give motorcyclists the respect and space they deserve on the roadway, regularly leading to severe accidents.
- Bus accidents. There are many buses in and around Houston, including the METRO buses as well as many other short- and long-distance transportation buses. Unfortunately, the negligent actions of bus drivers or bus agencies often lead to severe accidents.
- Bicycle accidents. Bicyclists face serious risks on the roadway due to negligent or careless actions of other drivers, and they also face risks from poorly maintained roadways. It is not uncommon for a bicyclist to sustain catastrophic injuries in an accident.
- Pedestrian accidents. Pedestrians have no protection against the force of vehicles slamming into them. Unfortunately, drivers often fail to watch for pedestrians and are often engaged in behavior that leads to serious pedestrian accidents.
- Boat accidents. Boating accidents can lead to severe injuries, and they often occur due to the negligence of boat owners and operators. Commercial and private boat operators have a responsibility to ensure the safety of those on their vessels and could be held liable in the event an accident occurs.
- 18-wheeler accidents. Large semi-trucks can cause severe injuries in the event an accident occurs. Unfortunately, the negligence of truck drivers or trucking companies regularly leads to severe truck accidents.
- Commercial vehicle accidents. There are many commercial vehicles on the roadways in and around Houston, though it can be difficult to distinguish between a commercial vehicle and the privately owned vehicle. Our team will work to ensure that any company is held liable for the actions of their employees.
- Defective product injuries. There are times when defective products make it into our households or into the workplace. In many cases, defective products have a flawed design, are damaged during the manufacturing process, or have a problem with their labels that mislead consumers.
- Workplace accidents. On-the-job injuries are not uncommon, and they can happen in any workplace. These injuries often occur because an employer fails to provide a safe working environment for their employee.
- Construction accidents. Construction workers face more risks than most other workers. The fatality rate for construction workers is much higher than in other industries. It is not uncommon for construction workers to sustain severe on-the-job injuries.
- Oil field incidents. Oilfield workers operate in dangerous conditions on a regular basis. They work with heavy machinery and around hazardous substances each day. If an employer fails to take steps to provide proper training and equipment, workers can sustain serious injuries.
- Offshore drilling accidents. Those who work offshore face unique risks. Unsafe working conditions, inadequate training, and insufficient safety equipment are common causes of offshore drilling injuries.
This is certainly not an all-inclusive list of the ways that personal injuries arise in Houston. At Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP, we want to hear from you. If you do not see the exact cause of your injuries on this list, please call us so we can determine the best path forward for your case. We have experience in all types of personal injury cases, and we want to find a way to help you.
What Are The Most Common Injuries That People Sustain?
There are various types of injuries that can arise in personal injury cases. At Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP, our Houston personal injury lawyers regularly help clients who have sustained the following:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Open head wounds
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Loss of or damage to a bodily organ
- Internal bleeding
- Dismemberment or amputation
- Severe burn injuries
- Hearing and vision loss
We have extensive experience helping clients who have sustained catastrophic injuries due to the negligence of other people. These injuries are ones that significantly alter a person’s ability to live a normal life.
Our team fully understands that injuries such as this can also cause tremendous emotional and psychological injuries as well. It is not uncommon for victims of catastrophic injuries to have persistent feelings of anxiety, fear, anger, depression, and more. Many of our clients experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as a result of their injuries. Both traumatic and emotional injuries must be taken into account when determining fair compensation for victims.
How To Prove Liability In A Personal Injury Case
In order to win these cases, the victim (plaintiff) will need to prove the at-fault party (defendant) was negligent. There are four elements of negligence involved in each personal injury case that your attorney will work to prove. This includes:
- Duty. The defendant owed a legal duty of care to the plaintiff. The duty of care will look different depending on the particular type of case involved. For example, a driver owes a duty of care to operate safely around pedestrians and bicyclists on or near the roadway. Companies owe a duty of care to consumers, meaning they must ensure that their products are safe before they sell them.
- Breach. The defendant breached their legal duty by acting or failing to act a certain way. If a driver makes a choice to operate while impaired by alcohol, they are breaching their duty of care to act responsibly and safely around other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists.
- Causation. The breach of duty directly caused the plaintiff’s injuries. Following the example, simply driving intoxicated is not enough to hold someone liable in a personal injury case. However, if an impaired driver strikes a pedestrian on the sidewalk, it could be argued that their intoxication caused the incident.
- Damages. The plaintiff was harmed or injured as a result of the defendant’s breach of duty. This will generally be proven by showing that the plaintiff sustained injuries and incurred losses (medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.).
While these elements may seem straightforward, they can become incredibly difficult to prove, especially if the defendant has a skilled legal team on their side defending their case. In many cases, the defendant and their legal team will attempt to place some or all of the blame for the incident on the plaintiff. At Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP, we will not let this happen. You can count on us to have your back throughout this entire case.
What Is The Time Limit To File A Personal Injury Claim In Houston?
Each state is responsible for setting time limits that victims have to file civil claims against negligent parties that cause them harm. These time limits are called the statutes of limitation. In Texas, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is defined in the Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code section 16.003. This law says that any civil action for personal injuries must be filed within two years from the date the injury occurs. If a personal injury victim fails to file a claim within this two-year time limit, they will likely lose any chance of recovering compensation for their losses.
There are various exceptions to the two-year rule. In cases which a person was under the age of 18 or “of unsound mind” when they were injured, the two-year clock will not start counting down until the victim reaches the age of 18 or becomes mentally competent.
What Types Of Compensation Are Available In A Personal Injury Case?
There are various types of compensation that may be available to victims of Houston personal injury claims. In general, victims who are injured due to the negligence of another can expect to be awarded both economic and non-economic damages in a successful settlement or jury verdict.
These are also called “special damages” and refer to costs that a personal injury victim incurs that can be calculated by gathering bills, receipts, proof of income, etc. These damages can include the following:
- All medical expenses related to the injury
- Home health care costs
- Physical therapy
- Mobility devices (wheelchairs, walkers, scooters, etc.)
- Lost wages and benefits
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
These are also called “general damages” and refer to compensation a victim receives for the suffering that the injuries and the incident caused. These types of damages are going to be a bit harder to calculate because there are no bills or receipts to quantify exactly how much suffering a personal injury victim endures. General damages can include the following:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Mental anguish damages
These damages may be awarded in a personal injury case in which the at-fault party was found to be grossly negligent or acted with malicious intentions when causing another person harm. Punitive damages are not awarded in every personal injury case.
Contact A Houston Personal Injury Attorney Today
If you or somebody you care about has been injured due to the negligent or careless actions of someone else, you should seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At Padilla & Rodriguez, LLP, our skilled and experienced team is ready to investigate every aspect of your claim. We believe that every injured victim deserves quality legal representation so they can stand up to those who caused them harm. We are not afraid to take on aggressive insurance carriers or well-funded negligent parties. When you need a Houston personal injury attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling (713) 574-4600.